Saturday, April 10, 2010

Say What???

Audrey still isn't very good at talking. She can say maybe 20 words or so, if you count "bah" for ball, and "ba" for bath, and "wa" for water, and "muh" for milk, and "aya" for Kayla... She's seriously struggling with this whole communication thing and it's the major source of meltdowns and temper tantrums in our house.

I let Audrey tell me what she wants to eat every morning for breakfast. She almost always wants a bagel ("guhl") and milk.

So this morning she gets her bagel like normal and instead of milk, asks for the juice ("uice" - hey that's almost a full word!!!) she sees in the back of the fridge.

I get her settled in her high chair, put on her favorite TV show (I have no idea how the whole I have to watch TV while I eat breakfast thing started, but here we are...) give her her bagel and juice and settle myself right here at the computer so I can have a wee bit of "me" time before Kayla starts crying (which she is right now) and Audrey starts demanding a lot of attention (also happening right now... But don't worry I asked Audrey to go entertain Kayla and so far it's working. At least she can understand me for the most part!)

All of a sudden Audrey is throwing her juice on the floor having a nice tantrum and begging for milk. Really kid? YOU are the one that asked for the juice. But I get her a cup of milk anyways because she really is a creature of habit and I was really surprised that she wanted juice in the first place...

I give her the cup of milk, put the juice on the counter by the sink and return to my computer for a couple more minutes.

And she starts screaming. Hysterically. Really.. And I think through the tears and the snot and the crying that she's asking for her juice again. So I pick up her milk and put it on the counter and give her the juice back.

Still not what she wanted. I'm seriously confused. I'm sorry baby, I just don't speak your language that well. Can you please try speaking mine a little bit more??? Please???

Yeah, she wanted milk AND juice.

Why didn't I think of that.

(And I would have put a picture of her right here but I went to upload one and discovered that my husband has disconnected our hard drive. So then I was going to get one off of my camera, but the little slot on the computer where my card goes is gone... So you can blame the lack of cuteness in the post on my husband. Because even if I knew where that little slot had disappeared to I would have NO idea how to put it back in...)

1 comment:

  1. I'm almost 50, and I've been told I don't make any sense and don't say whole words too! Audrey and I must be related! :-)

    ReplyDelete