Sunday, April 5, 2009

I just don't get it!

Let me start by saying that the baby has never been a good sleeper. Not once in her 7.5 months of life has she slept through the night (NOT ONCE!).

At the beginning she would wake up every 2.5 hours on the dot to eat and then would go right back to sleep. Around 4 months she would sleep for 4-5 hours for the first stretch, wake up to eat, then wake up every 2.5 hours again until 6 am when she would wake up for the day. At 6 months she started waking only twice a night, nurse and then go back to sleep. At nearly 7 months she was only waking up once around 2am to nurse and would go right back to sleep (sweet!).

Well now, at 7.5 months, she is waking up at least 3 times a night. What gives?? Mommy needs some sleep!

We are traveling at the moment and the baby and I are unfortunately sharing a bedroom. This means that neither of us are sleeping well. This is how last night went down:

I put the baby to bed at 7:30. She woke up at 10. I let her fuss for a while but 10 minutes later she was full on screaming. I mean the kind of crying where she can't breathe, is choking on her spit, and is just plain mad that I still haven't come to her rescue. I nursed her and she fell right back to sleep.

She woke up again at 12:00. I nursed her. She fell back asleep. I fell back asleep. All was good again. Until...

3am. Yes, that's right. 3... fricken... a.m. And she's wide awake. I bring her to my bed. I try to nurse her but she wants nothing to do with it. She wants to play. Did I mention that it's 3 am?? I'm sorry hunny but Mommy doesn't play at 3am. But the baby apparently didn't get that memo.

20 minutes later the baby is still wide awake. I am exhausted and getting crankier by the second. The baby thinks it's funny that I'm getting cranky...

I put her back in her bed, took my pillow, left the room and went to sleep on the couch. She babbled herself to sleep 40 minutes later (yes, that means she was awake for a full hour), only to wake up for the day at 6.

I'm exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment