Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Well that wasn't very much fun and Um, What??

I decided to be adventurous today and took Audrey out to my favorite restaurant, Jason's Deli. Love, love, love their salad bar. Like, seriously. I could eat there everyday. Mmmm.

Anyways, due to the technicalities of going to lunch by myself with an infant that cannot walk, I decided to order something off the menu. They used to have a system where they'd give you a number and they'd bring your order to your table. Well, they don't do this anymore. And I didn't find out until they gave me a little buzzer after I paid. Great. I then proceed to try to find a highchair and a table big enough that I didn't have to worry too much about Audrey getting her chubby little fingers into my hot cup of soup. Well, it was 12:15 or so and there were very few tables. The only one I could find was at the opposite end from where you grab your food.

I made my way to the table and got Audrey settled into her highchair just in time for my buzzer to go off. Well I sure wasn't going to hold the baby and my tray of food (including hot soup) at the same time so I decided to push her highchair over to the food. Luckily, the highchair has wheels. Unfortunately, the wheels must have been from the stone age with squared edges or something because that chair didn't steer worth crap!

FINALLY made my way back to the counter where my food was quickly getting cold and the lady working there decided that I looked desperate enough that she offered to carry the tray back to my table for me. I could have kissed her. But I didn't.

After pushing Audrey's high chair back to the table (only running into 3 people sitting in chairs and running over one man's toes...) I finally got to enjoy my somewhat soggy sandwich and lukewarm soup. Yum. I think I'll wait a few years before I attempt to go there alone with her again...

After lunch we ran over to Hobby Lobby to find some wooden letters to redo her name in her room. Well after the disaster we had getting her previous letters off of the wall when we moved in December, I wanted to try some smaller ones that I could hang with ribbon or something. NO MORE STICKY GOOP ON THE WALLS!! Unfortunately, I could only find the same ones and they're huge and while very cute, would be incredibly difficult to hang. Bummer. I did find some other things that I just had to have. I mean, who can go into Hobby Lobby and not buy anything?? Definitely not me.

While I was waiting in line to check out there was an older lady standing in the other line smiling at Audrey. This lady then turns to me and our conversation went something like this:

Lady (to Audrey): Well aren't you a cute little boy.
(to Me): That is a boy isn't it.
Me: Um, no she is a girl.
Lady: Oh....
Me: (What the heck lady?? Can't you read? She's wearing a yellow and pink onesie that says Mommy's Girl and pink shorts and white/pink shoes. I should have said. Yep. This is my son. Don't you love his cute shirt??)
Lady: Well we just had our first great grandson in 25 years. All the rest are girls. I'm very conscious of little boys.
Me: (Okay... Don't even know where to go with that) That's exciting. I bet you're happy.
Lady (to Audrey again): I'm sorry sweetie. You just look like a boy.
Me: (Are you freaking kidding me??)
Lady to Audrey (complete after thought): You are adorable though.

Are you kidding? Who says that? I'm used to people asking me if she's a boy because, lets face it, she doesn't have very much hair and what she does have is very blond so it looks like even less. But still. Who would say something like that. I swear, having a baby just might be worse than being pregnant when it comes to the weird things people say...

(I tried to get a picture of her. She looked so cute in her baby shorts! But, it was past nap time and this is the best she would give me...)

1 comment:

  1. You could have had a neon sign over Audrey's head saying "I'm a Girl" and some people still would be asking if it's a boy. Been there...been frustrated myself at some people.

    ReplyDelete